Functional resilience of port environs in a changing climate-assets and operations, Enhancing the resilience of seaports to a changing climate
The project 'Climate resilient seaports' produced five reports that collectively generate technical, policy and operational recommendations for enhancing the resilience of Australian seaports to a changing climate.
- Research synthesis: provides a synthesis of the entire research project, including policy and related recommendations for adaptation;
- Adaptation guidelines: identifies priorities for operational decision-making about climate change adaptation for seaports;
- Understanding future risks: provides a technical analysis about future climate and non-climate risks likely to affect port operations;
- Functional resilience: provides a technical analysis about logistic and related factors that may affect the resilience of seaports in a changing climate, and
- Structural resilience: provides a technical analysis about structural factors that may affect the resilience of seaports in a changing climate.
Functional resilience of port environs in a changing climate – assets and operations
Functional resilience of port environs in a changing climate is the second work package of the Climate Resilient Seaports project. A functional response to climate change requires a better understanding of the characteristics of commodity trade and related port logistics operations. The purpose of this research was to develop a methodological framework for systematically identifying the vulnerability of port assets, infrastructure, and logistics operations to weather-related impacts and future climate change in the context of Australian ports. To this end a GIS-enabled methodology provided visual information of the vulnerability of port assets and an agent based model was developed to simulate the likely impacts of climate-related extreme events on port operations. The work package also investigated the implications for operations practice, and options to increase the adaptive capacity of the ports workforce.
Please cite as:
Chhetri, P, Corcoran, J, Gekara, V, Corbitt, B, Wickramasinghe, N, Jayatilleke, G, Basic, F, Scott, H, Manzoni, A & Maddox, C 2013, Functional resilience of port environs in a changing climate – Assets and operations. Work Package 2 of Enhancing the resilience of seaports to a changing climate report series, National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility, Gold Coast 118 pp.
- 1 of 8